You can be a great manager!
There is more to management than being a good leader. It means having an understanding of the complexities of management processes, planning and the New Zealand business environment.
Advance yourself – gain the tools to motivate, engage, make change, achieve objectives, manage workflows and ensure you are meeting all your necessary legal and organisational requirements as a manager.
Who is this for?
If you are already carving out your career path in the corporate sector and you need additional skills, then undertaking the New Zealand Diploma in Business could be the answer.
To complete the New Zealand Diploma in Business (Leadership and Management) (Level 5) you are required to complete the following courses:
- Managing Projects
- Business Planning and Team Engagement
- Operational Management and Compliance
- Understanding Change
- Business Functions
- Business Environments
- Organisations in a New Zealand Context
If an individual course is of interest – it is possible to complete a course and not a full qualification. Please speak to one of our advisors for more information on 0800 328 269.
Benefits to you
Become an effective leader
An effective leader is someone who understands their own leadership style and the style of those around them. You will learn how to identify the ways you can improve and strengthen your leadership skills – leading to greater professional and personal development.
Gain an understanding of core organisational concepts in a New Zealand context
Understanding core organisational concepts that are specific to our New Zealand situation is essential when operating within a management role. Make sure that you have a clear understanding of what these are, how they may impact you and how you may need to adjust behaviours to accommodate demographics and business ethics.
Change within the workplace can be unsettling and disruptive – learn how to accommodate change and innovation while minimising disruption through careful planning and appropriate response.
Learn about the New Zealand business environment
The New Zealand business environment has specific requirements – legal and environmental. Make sure you are up to date with the current economic and business environment and applicable legal aspects.
Get to grips with business planning
Learn how to develop a plan which will help you allocate, manage and evaluate workflows and resources to achieve team and individual objectives.
Engage your team
Make sure you and your team perform to the highest level! Excellent team performance requires effective engagement – learn the skills to help your team achieve.
Gain an understanding of commercial law
If a sound understanding of the key elements of the nature and sources of New Zealand law and the core elements of the New Zealand legal system are crucial in your role then this course will provide you with the knowledge to perform. You will also learn the basic principles of the law of contract, the basic principles of property law and the relevant provisions of the Sale of Goods Act.
How will I learn?
You can fit your study around your work, family and lifestyle – there is no need to be a full-time student while studying with TANZ eCampus. You can work and earn. All study is completely online – with supportive facilitators and advisors to help you along the way.
How long will it take?
This qualification is made up of eight courses. Each course is delivered over 9 weeks. NZQA guidelines suggest up to 150 hours of total study time for a 15 credit course. So to complete one of the courses successfully in the 9 weeks you must be prepared to devote approximately 16.5 hours per week to your study. Depending on your previous academic online experience and course level this may vary to a certain degree.
If you want to study as a full-time student you can enrol on more than one course at a time, which will increase the amount of study required per week. Please speak to one of our advisors for more information on 0800 328 269 or refer to https://www.studylink.govt.nz/about-studylink/glossary/full-time-definition.html
Career and study pathways
On completion of this course you could be ready to take on a variety of careers including accounting technician, middle management, sales and marketing assistants, banking or human resources.
If you wish to undertake further study towards other business qualifications, view our business qualification pathways flowchart, to find your next step.
- A minimum of 14 numeracy credits at level 1 or higher in Mathematics or Pangarau on the Directory of Assessment Standards, and
- Fifty credits at level 2 or above with at least 12 credits in each of three subjects including a minimum of 8 literacy credits at level 2 or higher in English or Te Reo Māori; of which 4 credits must be in reading and 4 credits must be in writing.
- The literacy credits will be selected from a schedule of approved achievement standards and unit standards found on the NZQA website at Literacy requirements for University Entrance.
- All applicants must have a level of English sufficient to be able to study at this level. Those applicants whose first language is not English should have:
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall academic score of at least 6.0 issued within the last two years, with not less than 5.5 in any category.
- A test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 60 in the computer-based test (with a writing score of 20), or at least 550 in the paper-based test (with an essay score of 5 TWE), issued in the last two years.
- A qualification equivalent to the above
- Complete two years study at a New Zealand secondary school and achieve either NCEA Level 3 or New Zealand University Entrance or both.
Student loans and allowances
Courses and qualifications through TANZ eCampus are eligible for student loan support on condition that the student and level of study meet certain criteria. Student loans are administered through Studylink. Visit http://www.studylink.govt.nz/ for more information or phone TANZ eCampus on 0800 328 269 and we can point you in the right direction.
TANZ eCampus is offered by six of New Zealand’s major tertiary providers including:
All qualifications will be awarded by one of these providers. Courses completed through TANZ eCampus are industry recognised and accepted by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). Graduates may attend the graduation ceremony of the relevant tertiary partner and will receive a parchment from the institute at which they enrolled.